5th at the Worlds for Colman and Ross of Skerries Sailing Club
The Overall result saw Ian Dobson & Andy Tunnicliffe (Burwain SC) in 1st, Matt Mee & Chris Robinson (B&FYC/Red Wharf Bay) in 2nd , Nick Craig & Toby Lewis (Burghfield Frensham) in 3rd. Top Irish boat was Colman Grimes & Ross Gingles (Skerries SC) who finished 5th. . There were 3 Irish in Top 10 with Ross Kearney & Andrew Vaughan ( RNIYC) finishing in 7th and Hugh & Dan Gill (Sutton Dinghy Club) 10th. Another 8 Irish crews in Top 20 made for a strong showing and highlights the strength of the Irish fleet.
Conor Twohig & Matthew Cotter finished 21st Overall and took Silver Fleet from Doire Shiels & Lewis Coppinger in 23rd and Sam Street & Josh Lloyd (Blessington) in 27th. Conor Byrne & Emer McNally (Darwin SC) and 22nd overall took Bronze Fleet from Kerri-Ann & Megan Boylan (Skerries SC) in 34th and Frankie Brown & Dave Lappin (Skerries SC) in 40th.
Curly Morris, the outgoing GP14 International President and a great supporter and facilitator for Youth and Female engagement and involvement in the Irish GP14 Class announced a major surprise when additional World Sailing Championship medals were to be presented possibly for the first time at a World Championship in Ireland. The GP14 International organisation would normally present trophies at the GP14 World Championships to categories such as leading Female Helm, leading all-Female crew and leading Youth, but this was the first year that World Sailing has permitted World Sailing medals be presented to these categories as well as the Overall World Championship top 3.
To major cheers and emotional scenes the prize-giving ceremony concluded with the following presentations:
World Sailing Youth Championship Medals:
- Gold) Robert Richardson & Steven Wilson (Royal Windemere SC)
- Silver) Sam Stree & Josh Lloyd (Blessington Sailing Club)
- Bronze) Ciaran Keogh & Adam Leddy (Greystones Sailing Club)
World Sailing All Female Championship Medals:
- Gold) Kerri-Ann & Megan Boylan (Skerries Sailing Club)
- Silver) Katie Dwyer & Michelle Rowley (Sutton Dinghy Club)
- Bronze) Meg Tyrrell & Sorcha Donnelly (Royal Irish YC/ Skerries SC)
World Sailing Mixed-Crews Championship Medals:
- Gold) Ger Owens & Mel Morris (RoyalSt. George YC & East Antrim Boat Club
- Silver) Jane Kearney & Ollie Goodhead (Royal North of Ireland C & )
- Bronze) Ruan & Rebekkah O’Tiarnaigh (Ballyholme YC & Sutton Dinghy Club)
GO HERE FOR FULL RESULTS