100 Tickets Sold ...
... for the 2021Irish Sailing Cruising Conference and €764 raised for RNLI
The line up of speakers had the audience keen to hear their tales of challenges at sea from getting a mast with one arm to turning your crew into a well-oiled team. And talking of oil ... repairs along the way were a theme throughout the speaker's adventures. "It's not an adventure without a challenge or two."
- Garry Crothers had everyone mesmerized as he share stories of his trip across the Atlantic on 'Kind of Blue', an Ovni 435. What makes Garry's solo sail is that he really did sail "Single Handed Across the Atlantic" as he has one arm. Would you use a remote control to get up your mast in the middle of the Atlantic ... solo?
- Ellen Cahill sailed across the Atlantic and back with family and friends and built up a great offshore sailing team through communication and sharing of responsibilities, which meant they could overcome their engine breakdown and more.
- Rob Hensall recalled how he saw cliffs and could hear voices as he became so completely and utterly exhausted so sailing from Portugal to Ireland and how he couldn't fulfill the simplest of tasks at sea. He shared the immense sense of relief felt when the RNLI brought him into Courtmacsherry with no engine, no mast and no steering.
- Peter Lawless and his big decision to return to Ireland after steering damage and start again was met with unanimous agreement by the audience, supports and sponsors. Peter will be leaving from Kilrush in August to make a fresh start at a Solo Unassisted Circumnavigation of the World
- CAI celebrate their 20th Anniversary this year - 20 years of cruising in company, supporting and learning from eachother.
There were a few technical glitches that had Gail MacAllister under pressure as she presented the event but we managed to hold it together for the all-important prize draw.
Every ticket holder was entered into the virtual hat to win an amazing package of goodies wortth €380 thanks to Union Chandlery. Carefully selected to make sure you are prepared for your adventures this summer ...
- Lewmar One Touch Powergrip Winch Handle (we all love this)
- Vetrus Waterproof Binoculars (even if you already have a pair, two makes to sets of eyes)
- Odea Distress Led Flare with Infra Red Lithium Batteries (lets hope you never need it)
PLUS ... threee books from ICC Publications AND a lucky 2 nights in a Marina Pod at Kilrush Marina
The interviews with Garry, Ellen, Rob and Peter will be published on our Youtube Channel soon. Subscribe to receive notification HERE.
Thank you goes to sponsors Union Chandlery and to supporters Cruising Association of Ireland and Kilrush Marina.