Training Notice 21 - 1
10 – 02 – 2021
Emergency Care requirements for certification of Irish Sailing Instructors (SBSS, NPTS, GWS)
In view of the ongoing uncertainty around the availability of Emergency Care courses due to COVID-19 restrictions the following adjustments have been made to the Emergency Care certification requirements for Irish Sailing instructors undertaking instructor training courses during the 2021 season.
This also applies to currently qualified instructors with lapsed Emergency Care certification due for revalidation at this time.
Newly Qualifying Instructors
The requirement to hold an emergency care certificate for certification of Irish Sailing Instructors will be suspended for newly qualifying instructors.
- Instructor qualification issued will be valid until 30/09/21.
- Instructor qualification will be recorded on the Irish Sailing databased and listed under the Valid Instructors page in the Irish Sailing website. Physical certificates will not be issued until Emergency Care certification has been completed
- All other pre-requisites including Garda Vetting (still being processed) and Safeguarding (Facilitated online course) must be in place.
- Instructors issued with temporary certification under this arrangement during the 2020 season will have the validity of their temporary certification extended to 30/09/21.
Currently Qualified Instructors
The requirement to hold a valid Emergency Care certificate for instructor certification to be valid has been suspended for those whose Emergency Care requires revalidation at this time.
In this situation it is the responsibility of the instructor to ensure that the Emergency Care certificate is revalidated as soon as possible once normal activity resumes.
Training Centre Responsibilities
With the above arrangements in place, it is the responsibility of the Training Centre to ensure that:
- There must be at least 1 person onsite with a valid EC qualification during activity.
- The allocation of instructor’s accounts for those with lapsed EC qualifications and those who may not yet have completed any training.