Irish Sailing Invites Expressions of Interest for World Sailing Representation 2021-2024
World Sailing is sailings international governing body. The World Sailing Conference is held annually during November over 7 days.
There are two places on the World Sailing Council that are allocated to ‘Group A’ which has representatives from GBR and IRL. These positions are currently filled by a representative from each country and are appointed by their respective Member National Authority (MNA).
In addition, there are a number of committees dealing with specific areas of interest eg Race Officials, Events, Equipment, Rules, Offshore Regulations etc.
World Sailing Committees run on a four year Olympic Cycle at the end of which, member national authorities (MNA’s) put forward their nominations for volunteer committee representation. The organisation is largely influenced by the people who sit on the committees who are well known, and have the respect of the other committee members. This means a significant amount of work is done through networking between meetings, establishing contacts and lobbying.
There is a significant drive within World Sailing to increase the number of women represented on the various committees, and also a desire to bring some younger representatives on the committees.
Irish Sailing’s Objectives
Irish Sailing’s representation and input into World Sailing committee work aims to achieve a number of objectives:
- Identifying and securing the opportunities for hosting international events
- Appointment and progression of Irish International Race Officials (Race Officers, Judges and Umpires)
- Establishing and maintaining a network of relationships with international sailing administrators
- Influencing decisions affecting Irish Sailing at all levels; training, racing, race management and olympic sailing.
To achieve our objectives we need to ensure:
- We retain an Irish representative on the World Sailing Council
- We have sufficient representation on appropriate and relevant committees
- We have representatives who can commit to attend all meetings
- We have representatives who are prepared to represent Irish interests at World Sailing in the long term
- We have representatives who are good at networking
- We aim to have a woman as a representative on at least one committee
Process for Nomination of Irish Sailing Representatives.
Irish Sailing would like to receive expressions of interest from those with international experience and connections, either as a sailor, race official or administrator who are interested in being nominated as an Irish representative on World Sailing committees. Please submit your expression of interest to Harry Hermon (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 14th July 2020 stating:
- Which committee you would like to be put forward for
- Why you feel representation on that particular committee is important to Irish Sailing
- A CV stating your experience and expertise in that area
Further Information about World Sailing may be found: www.sailing.org
The steering group appointed by the Irish Sailing Board will review all expressions of interest received, and develop a strategy for World Sailing representation for the next World Sailing quadrennial.