Ireland on the map for world-class sailing events
We’ve known it for a while now that Ireland is an attractive country for world-class sailing events, but 2022 marks a bumper year with no less than five major events being hosted here including World Championships for the 505, GP14, Fireball and SB20 classes, and the J24 European Championships.
Irish Sailing has been working together with all these classes to organise bids, secure funding and finalise locations. The long-term benefit of these events for sailing in Ireland is difficult to quantify, but centres on inspiring others to get active on the water.
Sarah-Louise Rossiter, Irish Sailing Racing Officer commented “You could count the fleet size and number of boats, but it’s about more than that – the status of these world-class events show that Ireland can host and organise sporting events of the highest quality. It’s important for all our sailors, young and old, to see the calibre of both the competition and the competitors – and hopefully they’ll inspire others to get involved – racing or not !”
The 2022 calendar is looking busy already, so make sure you have these dates booked !
- 21 – 24 April Irish Sailing Youth National Champs Ballyholme Yacht Club
- 1 – 13 August 505 World Championships Royal Cork YC
- 14 – 19 August GP14 World Championships Skerries Sailing Club
- 21 – 26 August Fireball World Championships Lough Derg YC
- 30 Aug – 3 Sept J24 European Championships Howth YC
- 3 – 4 Sept Irish Sailing Women at the Helm Royal Cork YC
- 5 – 9 Sept SB20 World Championships Royal Irish YC
- 24 – 25 Sept Irish Sailing All Ireland Junior Champs TBC
- 1 – 2 Oct Irish Sailing All Ireland Senior Champs TBC
If you are planning an event planned for 2022 make sure you get onto our events calendar here to check your dates and complete our event booking form.