Data Protection and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Data Protection law is updated regularly and it is important that every Irish Sailing Club, Class and Centre and indeed every member, is aware of how these changes in the law will affect the ways in which members’ personal information can be collected and used for Irish Sailing purposes.
What is Data Protection?
- Data Protection legislation is intended to protect the right to privacy of individuals (all of us) and seeks to ensure that Personal Information is used appropriately by third parties that may have it (Data Controllers).
In essence Data Protection relates to any information that can be used to identify a living person such as Name, Date of Birth, Address, Phone Number, Email address, Membership Number, IP Address, photographs etc
There are other categories of information which currently are defined as Sensitive Personal Data which require more stringent measures of protection and these categories include religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, trade union membership, medical information etc.
What is GDPR?
- The General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) is EU legislation that came into effect in 2018.
- It very clearly sets out the ways in which the privacy rights of every EU citizen must be protected and the ways in which a person’s ‘Personal Data’ can and can’t be used.
- It places the onus on the person or entity that collects a person’s information (Data Controller) to comply with the legislation and to demonstrate compliance.
Data Protection can be summarised in the following 8 ‘rules’
You must …
- Obtain and process the information fairly
- Keep it only for one or more specified and lawful purposes
- Process it only in ways compatible with the purposes for which it was given to you initially
- Keep it safe and secure
- Keep it accurate and up-to-date
- Ensure that it is adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Retain it no longer than is necessary for the specified purpose or purposes
- Give a copy of his/her personal data to any individual, on request
Irish Sailing Useful GDPR Documents
Data Protection Commissioner
We would advise that for professional advice on the legal and technical points you go directly to the Data Protection Commissioner office …