1. Do I still need to log hours?
In order to revalidate your ISA Instructor qualification you must show that you have been instructing regularly. The following criteria apply:
Small Boat Sailing Scheme
Go! Windsurfing Scheme
ISA Cruising Scheme
A minimum of 10 days in the last year or 20 days in the last 2 years.
National Powerboat Training Scheme,
Inland Waterways Motorboat Training Scheme &
PWC Training Scheme;
Basic Marine Engine Maintenance Scheme
Emergency Care Scheme
A minimum of 6 days in the last year or 12 days in the last 2 years.
2. What Counts as a “Day”?
All days counting towards revalidation must be full days worked on an ISA accredited course. The level of the course must be appropriate to your qualification. For example; a Go Racing Dinghy Instructor must have spent some time working on Go Racing courses in order to be able to revalidate as a Go Racing Dinghy Instructor.
3. What else do I need?
• A current Emergency Care Certificate
A list of ISA course providers is available on the website
www.sailing.ie >> Training & Certification >> Safety >> Emergency care.
Some other course are accepted – Contact ISA Training Office to check
• Current ISA membership.
Members of Category 1 clubs are members of the ISA & so may use membership card. Otherwise you can renew using the button on the Instructor Revalidation webpage.
www.sailing.ie >> Training & Certification >> Safety >>Instructor and Training Centre resources (Instructor) >> ISA Instructor & Coach Courses (Instructor Revalidation)
4. If I am qualified in a number of disciplines do I have to attend revalidation workshops in all of these?
Yes. However, where you would have to attend more than one workshop in a year, we may if requested, revalidate other qualifications for 12 months in order to spread attendance at workshops out over a number of years. This is on condition that the ISA is provided with proof of active instructing as laid out in FAQ Section 1.
5. What if I cannot access a workshop or upgrade course and my Training Centre Accreditation is going to be removed?
Where it is not possible for you to revalidate in any other way, you may request that the ISA organises an ISA Instructor Trainer to conduct a revalidation assessment. The assessment will include;
• Assessment of personal skills appropriate to instructor qualifications held.
• Assessment of knowledge appropriate to instructor qualifications held.
• Assessment on delivery of a shorebased teaching session
• Assessment on delivery of a waterbased teaching session
Assessments are run over the course of 1 day and;
• Must be authorised by the ISA.
• Will be run by an Instructor Trainer appointed by the ISA.
• You will be responsible for paying the Instructor Trainers fees & expenses.
• ISA will not authorise this type of revalidation where other revalidation options exist.
• This type of revalidation will not normally be authorised outside of June, July or August.
• The assessment must be undertaken in an ISA Training Centre with relevant courses running.
• No more than four Instructors may be assessed in one day