When are Centre Inspections Carried out?
- New Training Centres – An Inspection is carried out on all new Training Centres prior to accreditation being issued.
- Existing ISA Training Centres – ISA Training Centres are inspected regularly by an ISA appointed Inspector.
- Changes to existing recognition status – Additional Inspections may be carried out if there is a substantial change in the operating status of an existing ISA Training Centre.
How are Inspection Visits Arranged?
The ISA Training Centres is contacted in advance by the allocated Inspector to agree a date for the Inspection. It is important that the Inspector has the opportunity of visit the Centre while training is underway, particularly for a new Centre.
What is Done with the Inspection Results?
The Inspector will, during the course of the inspection, make known to the Centre Principal or the Senior Instructor the results of the inspection and they will be asked to sign and agreed the details on the Inspection Report Form. The reports are then sent to the Training Department of the ISA, where they are recorded onto the ISA Database. The Centre Principal will be notified when this task has been completed and will be able to view the information online.
Details on the ISA Centre Inspection regulations are available in the ISA Training Centre Recognition Requirements document which is available to download from the online Library.
Preparing for your Centre Inspection
What Happens First?
The Centre Principal will be contacted by the ISA Inspector to arrange a suitable time and date for the Inspection.
What Do I Do Next?
You will need to download and print out the following two documents.
- Centre Inspection Checklist 2016:
You should run through this document and ensure that you have all the requirements listed in place and available for the Inspector to see. This document is available to download and print from the Online Resource Library. (See Library link below).
- Inspection Form: Check that all the details on this form are correct, including Training Centre administration contact details, Instructors, Courses and Boats & Equipment details and amend as necessary. This document is available to download and print through the My ISA section of the ISA Website. (See link below).
You will need to read through the following two documents.
- ISA Training Centre Recognition Requirements:
Go through this document carefully. Make sure you are maintaining high standards of coaching, your facilities and equipment are safe and up to standard, make sure you are maintaining ISA ratios and make sure you are adhering to Operating Requirements for each of the schemes you are running. The Inspection Checklist will help you do this. This document is available to download and print from the Online Library.
- ISA Policies & Procedures Manual:
Go through this document carefully. If you are missing any documentation such as safety statements, risk assessments, course programmes, etc. this document will help you update or write new ones. This document is available to download and print from the Online Library.
The Recognition Requirement and Policies & Procedures are large documents. Nuala in the ISA Office would be happy to post copies to you. 01 280 0239 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click here to view, download and print your Training Centre’s Inspection Form
Please click here to view, download and print your Training Centre’s Inspection Event
During the Centre Inspection
The day the Inspector visits, you should:
- Run as normal. The Inspector wants to see you doing what you usually do.
- Have available all boats for the Inspector to see. All powerboats and cruising yachts should be afloat, fully equipped and available for use.
- Ensure that the Centre Principal, Senior Instructor or Junior Organiser are available.
While with You the Inspector Will:
- Want to spend some time afloat looking at sessions running. They will also need to spend some time ashore running through administration requirements.
- Be checking that your Centre and courses are safe and running in accordance with ISA requirements.
- Provide feedback to you aimed at assisting you in developing your training courses and running them in a safe manner.
- Agree action items with completion dates.
After the Centre Inspection
The Inspector will:
- Upload the Inspector’s Summary, Recommendations, Action Items (Training Centre) and Action Items (ISA) on to the ISA Website.
- Send all completed documentation to the Training Department of the ISA.
The ISA Training Department will:
- Review the documentation received, ensure that all information has been accurately recorded on the database, scan and upload a copy of the Inspection Report Form to the Training Centre’s online profile.
- Email the Centre Principal that the work has been completed.
- Complete any Action Items (ISA) that have been recorded on the Inspection Report Form.
- To view your Training Centre’s Inspection Reports click here to view, download and print your Training Centre’s Inspection Event
Visit the Library for Course Documentation