Instructor Training & Children First to Try Sailing & Certification
Three Regional Training Briefing Seminars were presented this week in Greystones, Cork and Castlebar with attendance from over 60 organisations throughout the country.
Dave Garvey’s detailed presentation on the Instructor Training programmes shared some useful advise on pre planning for the 2018 season and beyond, with a recommendation of looking ahead and planning who may make a good Advanced Instructor or Senior Instructor to create your own ‘organic’ senior staff.
The Regional Development Officers at each meeting, Sarah Louise Rossiter, Gail MacAllister and Ciarán Murphy, reminded everyone of the Garda Vetting and procedures for clubs and centres and the requirements for Safeguarding training for volunteers, Children’s Officers, Designated Officers, management and Instructors. Training at all levels is available from the ISA and other organisations nationally.
The ISA Passport certification and log system was discussed in detail and every training club / centre is encouraged to dive in and get registered as soon as possible to ensure we don’t end up with a late rush as the season will soon be upon us.
Try Sailing activities and goals for 2017 showed that the ISA will be continuing to spread the message that it is possible to Try Sailing and encouraging interested new sailors to go to www.trysailing.ie to find out where they can give it a try.
Those that attended may like a recap on the content and those that couldn’t make it can take a look through.
- Presentation 1. Garda Vetting, Safeguarding, Try Sailing Briefing
- Presentation 2. ISA Training briefings 2017
There were numerous questions, with many answers available on a number of useful pages on www.sailing.ie, so here is a list of handy links that were mentioned the past 3 nights –
- Try Sailing Event Planning
- ISA Regional Development Facebook Closed Group – for training centre managers, junior organisers, centre principals, senior instructors, club committees and managers.
- ISA Training Guide PDF
- Garda Vetting & Child Protection links and forms
- The Training Library – FULL of useful links galore
Safeguarding 2 & 3 courses are now available to purchase on line, details here https://www.sailing.ie/safeguarding-2-3-training/
Contact your local RDO for Safeguarding 1 in your area or organisation.
Contact your local Regional Development Officer or Dave Garvey, Training Development Officer with any questions or support.
- Ciarán Murphy | email@example.com | +353 (0)87 880 0744 Regional Development Officer (Western & N.Ireland)
- Gail MacAllister | firstname.lastname@example.org | +353 (0)86 2214724 Regional Development Officer (Southern)
- Sarah-Louise Rossiter | email@example.com | +353 (0)87 939 0488 Regional Development Officer (East & South East)
- Dave Garvey | firstname.lastname@example.org | +353 (0) 87 9584150 Training Development Officer