Phase 1 of Physical Education in Senior Cycle includes Sailing
Two new curriculums for physical education at senior cycle will be introduced from September 2018:
- Leaving Certificate Physical Education (optional subject for examination in the Leaving Certificate)
- The Senior Cycle Physical Education Framework (not for examination).
Students will choose three physical activities in three categories out of six –
- Personal Exercise and Fitness
- Artistic and aesthetic activities
- Adventure – SAILING is one of the options here, which is fantastic.
On 11th December the Department of Education invited schools to apply for the Phase 1 selection process and the closing date for application is 16 January 2018. Schools will have three options to choose from –
- Option A: Leaving Certificate Physical Education (for examination)
- Option B: Senior Cycle Physical Education Framework (not for examination)
- Option C: Both Leaving Certificate Physical Education and Senior Cycle Physical Education Framework.
It is anticipated the Phase 1 cohort of will be selected and notified by end of January, 2018.
If you would like your school to apply give them a nudge and send on this link – https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Curriculum-and-Syllabus/leaving-certificate-physical-education.html
If you are a school and would like advise on linking up with your local sailing club or centre call our Regional Development Officers.