Regional Cluster Meetings – Oct 17
Each Spring and Autumn the Irish Sailing Regional Development team invite the committees and management of affiliated clubs and accredited centres to meet up and discuss future plans and look at ways of supporting each other.
Discussions are broad and varied from region to region and create new ideas and collaboration in each region. Full slide show presented in meetings as pdf here – Oct17 Cluster Meeting
Meetings were held in Galway, Castlebar, Donegal, Waterford, Greystones, Howth, Foynes, Monkstown and Skibbereen.
Summary of Discussions
- 2nd Watersports Inclusion Games 25-26 August 2018 in Galway – All previous participants & volunteers will be contacted and new volunteers welcome for 2018, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Youth Skills Development – Ideas requested to encourage young sailors to try different types of boat. A members challenge chart would give incentive contact email@example.com .
- Request was made to make a representation to Government over early school start date and the effect it has on tourism and sailing season.
- Clubs keen to link to local Scout groups contact firstname.lastname@example.org for advice.
- Groups discussed the open support their local Leader and FLAG funding organisations will give to clubs and recommendations made to ask for advice (links below).
- Powerboat training development –
- Safety boat syllabus changes – training policy group will be finalising implementation in the new year.
- National Powerboat training delivery consistency programme – currently considering the implementation of an online resource for instructors.
- The Coastal Navigation for Small Boats now 2 days and exam will be Irish Sailing test papers, implementation to be finalised in new year.
- Instructor Training –
- Cost can be high. To keep costs down clubs are working together to organise regional courses and dividing bare costs to trainees. Contact Dave Garvey for advice email@example.com. Trainers contact details here https://www.sailing.ie/training/instructors/trainers/ .
- Current courses here https://www.sailing.ie/training/courses/currenttrainingcourses/
- Suggestion was made for Instructors to have ID cards with qualification validation details and Training Policy Group will consider.
- A number of Clubs mentioned shortage of Dinghy Instructors in July and lack of Advanced Instructors. No one reported a shortage of SIs.
- Advised to ensure representative from training attend Training Briefing.
- Advised next Advanced Inst course 29th May – June 1st Howth YC.
- Keelboat Instructor Courses planned in Galway and West Cork and Advanced Instructor in Co Cork, dates tba.
- Safeguarding training –
- Cllubs and centres can book a private course for €250 or register a course and spaces available for €15pp. Contact their Development Officer.
- If a Local Sports Partnership is not allowing under 18s, then inform Irish Sailing and we will organise a course ourselves or contact other LSP.
- Comment made that cost can be prohibitive for volunteers and this can be kept low with the €250 cost and bringing 25 participants.
- Windsurfing –
- Windsurfing trainer in Donegal a welcome addition to development.
- Irish Sailing Passport –
- A few clubs and centres had questions about Irish Sailing Passport. Workshop requested in Cork.
- Logo will be made available for clubs and centres to use on their web sites and booking forms. How to guide for sailing clients requested.
- Concerns over delay in Topper and 4.7 squads made and suggestion for more collaboration with RYA Coaching Clinics in North.
- Irish Sailing Optimist Dun Laoghaire Coaching incident –
- A full enquiry is underway, details here https://www.sailing.ie/irish-sailing-optimist-squad-investigation/ . Advice on protocols and checks to be shared on completion of enquiry.
- Club Coach Programme –
- Dates TBA
- Club Coaching Card – under development, details to be published.
- Existing coaches requested to come forward and express their interest in continuing to coach and arrangements are made for their relevant level.
- Suggestion was made that Level 1 Club Coaches could consider having Safety Boat qualification as they are often on the water alone.
- Class Coaching Grants valuable for classes looking to develop their sailors, request made to continue.
- 420 coaching growing in Connaught and Leinster. RS 200 in South, Mirror continues to maintain numbers.
- Race official training –
- Variety of clubs requested courses. Keep an eye on current courses page as dates are confirmed. https://www.sailing.ie/training/courses/race-officials/
- Club Regattas –
- Clubs inviting neighbour clubs to attend their Open Regattas and ensuring dates don’t clash.
- Clubs trailer sharing to help transport youth boats.
- Team Racing –
- Clubs are planning to encourage school aged sailors to create school teams and attend Team Racing events.
- Clubs interested in Team Racing but lack of boats a problem.
- Connacht School Team Racing will be March.
- Keep an eye on Irish Sailing events calendar for all events. https://www.sailing.ie/map/
- If you are looking for Race Official training of any level or are interested in Team Racing send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events & Programmes
- Galway Festival of Sail will include ICRA Nationals, WIORA, President’s Cup and Watersports Inclusion Games – 15-16 August 2018
- LRYC will be hosting the inaugural Junior Double Handed Championship in July.
- All Irelands Crew – request for the Crew to be from the same class as helm. Suggestion for a top female and top male in Junior All Irelands.
- Women’s End of Season Bronze, Silver and Gold Challenge event for all classes would be welcomed.
- If you have an open event scheduled please send date on to email@example.com before 20th November for publication in Afloat calendar and firstname.lastname@example.org for publication in the sailing.ie events calendar and map.
- Windsurfing, racing and cruising in company dates to be sent in for printed Afloat calendar to email@example.com before 20th November.
Full slide show presented in meetings as pdf here – Oct17 Cluster Meeting
- Schedule any of the race official courses please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Current scheduled courses https://www.sailing.ie/training/courses/race-officials/
- Race Official facebook page https://www.facebook.com/IrishSailingRaceOfficials/
- More on Club Coaching or register interest email@example.com
- Please send in your events to firstname.lastname@example.org before 20th November
- Safeguarding links – tusla.ie/children-first/support-documents and www.dcya.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?docid=4429&CatID=&StartDate=1+January+2017
- Sports Capital Grant http://www.dttas.ie/sport/english/sports-capital-programme
- BIM FLAG http://www.bim.ie/schemes/fisheries,local,area,group,development,flag,2016,-,2023/
- Leader https://www.pobal.ie/FundingProgrammes/LEADER/Pages/LEADER.aspx
- New branding available for your websites https://www.sailing.ie/irish-sailing-branding/
- Please send in your updated committee details to your RDO
- Instructor Training support contact email@example.com
- Data Protection firstname.lastname@example.org for help. Info on gdprandyou.ie. Organisation 12 step guide http://gdprandyou.ie/organisations/. Video https://youtu.be/mCpUS-wpxAk
- Advice on Irish Sailing Passport email@example.com
- Contact details of all Development Officers here.
Irish Sailing Event Dates
|Senior Instructor Course||10-12 & 18-19 Nov 2018||Howth Yacht Club|
|16-18 &24-25 Mar 2018||Galway|
|18-22 June 2018||Lough Derg YC – (tbc)|
|SBSS Advanced Inst Course||29 May – 1 June 2018||Howth Yacht Club|
|Training Centre Clinics||14th November 2017 – 7pm||Clontarf yacht & Boat Club, Dublin|
|15th November 2017 – 7pm||Rochestown Park Hotel, Cork|
|16th November 2017 – 7pm||Castlebar ETB, Mayo|
|Club Growth Symposium||27th January 2018||Hotel nr M50 TBA|
|Cruising Conference||17th February 2018||Carlton Hotel Leopardstown|
|Volvo Irish Sailing Awards||23rd February 2018||RDS|
|Race Officials Conference||3rd March 2018||Crown Plaza Hotel, Tallaght|
|Watersports Inclusion Games||25th & 26th August 2018||Galway|