ISAF World Championship
The second ISAF World Championship will take place in the Cascais, Portugal, from 28th June to 13th July 2007. Held as a single event, the 2007 ISAF Sailing World Championships combines eleven Olympic Class World Championships at the same time in one venue
In addition to providing eleven new world champions, the 2007 World Championship has particular significance as 75% of the nation places for the 2008 Olympic Games will be allocated at the conclusion of the Championship
Competing to secure a place for Ireland at the 2008 Olympic Games will be:
ISA Olympic Squad Campaigners
Tim Goodbody (Finn)
Ciara Peelo (Laser Radial)
Debbie Hanna (Laser Radial)
Russell & Matt McGovern (49er)
Other Olympic campaigners include:
Maurice O’Connell & Ben Cooke (Star)
Max Treacy & Anthony Shanks (Star)
Gerald Owens & Phil Lawton (470)
Aaron O’Grady (Finn)
Roger Craig (Laser)
James Espey (Laser)
Richard White (RS:X)
Claudine Murphy (Laser Radial)
ISA Academy Members
Annalise Murphy (Laser Radial)
Tuathal Mac Colgáin & Dualtach Mac Colgáin, (470)
ISA Olympic Squad
The ISA Olympic Squad is funded by the Irish Sports Council (ISC). The squad is selected annually based on measured targets of performance set in conjunction with the ISA and the Irish Sports Council. The current squad is young in terms of Olympic experience but all are focused on the long term and in particular the 2012 Olympic Games.
The ISA Squad is augmented by the Olympic campaigners, a group of committed athletes who will be aiming to reach the performance targets set by the ISA. In the meantime their full-time campaigns are supported by private means and great personal effort.
Within the ISA Performance Pathway is the ISA Academy, an elite squad of Youth & Development sailors funded by the Irish Sports Council. The aim is to prepare our Academy Members for future Olympic Games
The competition consists of an opening series and a medal race.
The ten boats ranked highest in the opening series will be assigned to compete in the medal race. Medal Race points score as double points and may not be discarded.
If a class has 60 or fewer entries, it will race the opening series in one fleet.
If a class has more than 60 entries, it may race the opening series in multiple fleets. (Although each will race separately their results will be combined.) The opening series will then consist of a qualifying series and a final series.
Securing a place at the Olympics
Only a limited number of nation places will ultimately be available for sailing at the 2008 Olympic Games .i.e. less than the number of nations who wish to compete. Sailors have to qualify their nation and then be chosen to represent their county at the Games. The Olympics are in effect finals for a much longer series of competition.
75% of the nation places for the 2008 Olympic Games will be allocated at the conclusion of the ISAF Championship. The remaining 25% will be left to the respective Class World Championships in 2008.