Thirteen teams battled it out for the Waterways Ireland Inter-Counties Sailing Championship in Dublin’s Docklands over the weekend. The Dublin ladies team with ace helm Laura Dillon and her crew of Clare Hogan, Claudine Murphy, Audrey Adamson and Karena Knaggs beat the best of the county teams from Wexford, Mayo, Donegal, Clare, Limerick, Offaly, Down, Wicklow and Galway to take the title.
Racing ran from 11am to 4pm with a qualifying series and semi-finals, and lead to a final for Donegal, Wexford, Mayo, Dublin West and the Dublin ladies.
At the start of final race the Dublin ladies team were over the line and were recalled by the race officer, putting them firmly in last place as they reached the first mark upwind. Donegal led with a determined look on the faces, closely followed by Wexford and then Mayo. The challenging conditions in the Grand Canal Basin meant they couldn’t build much of a lead and as they reached the bottom mark Wexford took the lead and looked good going to the second top mark. However Mayo came back in contention and the Dublin ladies team quietly picked off the competitors as they went.
Going down the course on the second lap and at the final mark Mayo held off the Dublin ladies closely followed by Wexford, then Donegal and Dublin West. Coming out of the last mark Mayo were in control to windward of the Dublin ladies who stayed close to the North side of the dock. It looked liked the title was Mayo’s until they tacked, the Dublin ladies kept going along the wall and were lifted by the wind allowing them to stretch a lead with a tack at the end to cross the line to win the race and take the Waterways Ireland Inter-Counties title.Final Result
1. Dublin Ladies – Laura Dillon (helm), Clare Hogan, Claudine Murphy, Audrey Adamson, Karena Knaggs – sponsored by St Moriz Instant Self Tanning Mouse
2. Mayo – Justin Cullen (helm) & team
3. Wexford – Ben Scallan (helm) & team
4. Donegal – Stephen Doherty (helm), John Hasson, Elaine Farrel, James Sammon – sponsored by Leisureland Redcastle Indoor Funpark
5. Dublin West – Capt. Mick Liddy (helm), Patrick Ridge (Roj), Adam Harkin, Ronan Verling – sponsored by the Defence Forces.
Full results for all flights, repercharges, semi-finals online at www.waterwaysracing.com
For more information contact
Paul O Riain Waterways Racing
T. +353 87 23 55 900
Katrina Mc Girr Waterways Ireland