posted on June 17, 2011 16:08
It is that time of the year again when athletes are either just coming into or just coming out of exam time at either secondary school or third level. The Institute of Sport has an athlete support programme that all carded athletes are eligible to apply for a place on, for the coming academic year 2011-2012.
A place on this course offers focused support, where appropriate, in the flowing areas:
• Development of performance lifestyle skills to develop management and coping skills to enable athletes to better manage the blend of sport and academia
• Combined sport and academic career planning
• Student-athlete academic counselling support
• Tuition fees for part-time and postgraduate study where deemed of positive performance impact by the performance director of the relevant sport
• Access to training facilities, where possible
The type of athlete that is most likely to benefit from this level of service is one that is:
• Having difficulty managing the blend of sport and study
• Likely to need support with academia, careers or life choices
• Entering onto a major transition phase i.e. junior to senior, secondary school to third level, living at home to living on their own or with others.
• Likely to require assistance in managing their academic programme i.e. splitting their study, creating alternative assessment options or deferring study.
If you feel that you may fall into one or more of these categories or indeed that you feel you would benefit from the support fill out an application in for this support programme. The form is quite simple to fill out and does not take long. The closing date for applications is June 23rd 2011.
You will be able to view all of the relevant documents at the Institute of Sport website here
If you have any queries about the programme or the application process, please feel free to contact Ken Healy at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please make sure that you read through the guidelines carefully. Once the application date has closed we will be in touch will all of the relevant performance directors to review the applications.