posted on March 31, 2014 14:49
Andrea Brewster and Saskia Tidey are full time sailors campaigning to represent Ireland at the Rio 2016 Olympics, with the ambition of bringing home a medal in the 49erFX class.
Team Brewster/Tidey are members of the ISA Olympic Development Squad and recognised as Ireland's most promising female pairing for the Olympic qualification in the 49erFX. Their partnership began in August 2013 just prior to the World Championships, where they put in a solid first event performance taking away some top 5 results but most importantly a wealth of experience to build on. Now with a winter of training behind them they are keen to get back out racing on the World Cup circuit in 2014 to hone their skills and continue to learn and improve before the first Olympic Qualification Regatta the ISAF Worlds in Santander.
Team Brewster/Tidey have recently come onboard with Pledge Sports which is a crowd funding scheme aimed at helping Irish athletes raise money in order to compete at the highest level in their sports.
Sponsors already supporting Team Brewster/Tidey's campaign include Spirit Motor Group in partnership with Volvo Ireland, who have provided Andrea and Saskia with a vehicle to ensure they and their equipment gets transported efficiently and safely around Europe. Adding a professional image to the team, with coordinating wetsuits, boots and other vital pieces of necessary sailing clothing is GUL Performance Apparel. Other supporters include the Royal Irish Yacht Club, Zest Boatworks, LDC Sailing, Wyldsson, Phyisicool and Moatt Sails.
Andrea and Saskia are enthusiastic about sharing their campaign highs and lows and regularly post pictures and updates on their Facebook page Team Brewster/Tidey IRL 49erfx Sailing. Other forms of social media in which the team can be followed are Twitter (@irl49erfx) and Instagram (brewstertidey).
Profiles and History:
Name: Andrea Brewster
- Previously represented Britain as a member of the Olympic Laser Radial Squad.
- An experienced campaigner with numerous top 10 finishes at International, European and World Championships.
- Highest World ranking of 5th in the Laser Radial.
- Represented GBR at 2003 Pre-Olympic Regatta.
- Career highlight to date is winning the Bronze medal at the 2008 World Championships in the Laser Radial Class.
- Currently representing Ireland on the ISA Olympic Development Squad.
Name: Saskia Tidey
- Won the sole place to represent Ireland at the 2009 ISAF Youth World Championships.
- Irish Youth National Champion 2009/2010 in the Laser Radial.
- Irish Sailing Academy Squad member 2009 - 2011.
- Represented Ireland at the Laser Radial European and World Championships 2009 -2011.
- Crew member onboard the first all female 18ft skiff team racing in Sydney, Australia for the season of 2012- 2013.
- Represented Ireland in the 49erFX 2013 World & European Championships.
- Currently representing Ireland on the ISA Olympic Development Squad