Last weekend Sutton Dinghy Club hosted the Inter-Schools Sailing Event. The brainchild of the late Riocard O'Tiarnaigh, former Belvedere teacher and Commodore of Sutton Dinghy Club, this event goes from strength to strength. This competition offers individual and team format competition covering both Optimist fleet racing and Mixed Fleet PY handicap racing.
Not withstanding the torrential rain all day Saturday, a huge turnout saw 140 boats, 177 sailors, 46 teams representing 38 schools. The weather certainly did'nt dampen the enthusiasm for this unique and friendly event.
It is rare that kids get to sail in a team setting but this event sees some of Irelands top young representative and champion sailors teamed up with good club sailors to represent their schools, looking to win bragging rights for the year. Former competitors include Scott Flannigan (winner in 2008) and Annalise Murphy both currently vying for a place at London 2012.
The racing again took place out of Sutton Creek in northern part of Dublin Bay. The 2 fleets, ably looked after by PRO's Richard Kissane (Mixed Fleet -95 boats) and Jim Lambkin (Optimist - 45 boats) managed 2 races each on Saturday in light conditions. The Optimist fleet saw Douglas Elmes (Kilkenny College), Fergus Flood (Belvedere College), Megan Parker (Skerries) and Robert Dickson (St Fintans HS) take top 4 spots in both races. However consistent results from both Ros Morgan and Ben Walsh saw St Patricks NS split Kilkenny College and Belvedere College in the team standing by the end of the day. The lighter weather saw Laser Radials and 4.7 along with Mirrors dominate the Mixed Fleet standings. Stand out performance was Aoife Bourke & Ellen Harkin (Santa Sabina A) with 2 top 2 finishes.
Sunday saw marked improvement in the weather early on with little rain and more wind. However by the time both fleets got on the water the wind had disappeared for a few hours. PRO Richard Kissane managed to get a start for the Mixed Fleet, but a major wind shift left him with no option but to abandon the race. With little hope of wind, both PRO called it a day and sent the 2 fleets back to shore.
So with only the racing from Saturday to count, all that remained was the final queries to be resolved and the 2011 winners could be announced.Mixed Fleet Individual:
1) Aoife Burke & Ellen Harkin (Santa Sabina)
2) Ciaran Costello (Malahide Community School)
3) Mark Condy (Belvedere College)Mixed Fleet Team:
1) Belvedere College B (Mark Condy, Callum Maher & Jack Nolan, David Johnston & Ron Gleeson)
2) Santa Sabina A (Aoife Burke & Ellen Harkin, Sinead Dickson & Saoirse Kelly, Nicole Guinee & Rachael O'Connor)
3) Malahide Community School A (Ciaran Costelloe, Sean Anglim, Colm Roche)Optimist Individual:
1) Douglas Elmes (Kilkenny College)
2) Fergus Flood (Belvedere College)
3) Megan Parker (Skerries Community College)Optimist Team:
1) Kilkenny College (Douglas Elmes, Sean Levie)
2) St. Patricks NS (Ros Morgan, Ben Walsh)
3) Belvedere College (Fergus Flood, James O'Connor, Tim Coyne)Leading Primary Team:
St Patrick NS
Full results available on Sutton Dinghy Club website www.sdc.ie